This is a great, filling dish for all you vegetarians out there. I myself am a carnivore but every now and then we like to try and do a meatless meal. If you are also a fellow carnivore, don't tap out here, give it a try! (spoiler- there's cheese! You can never go wrong with cheese)
I was browsing the web for some yummy new recipes to try and ran across this one on the Damn Delicious website. So as your ever faithful tester and try-er out-er of recipes, I jumped right in. Check out the original recipe here. I tweaked a couple things because, well, I always go with the motto "the more cheese the better!" I also hate messing around with cooked lasagna noodles and opted for the ones that are oven ready. Because let's be honest, ain't nobody got time for that.
- Lasagna noodles
- 2 (15 oz) containers ricotta cheese (you can get away with one container but my love of all things cheese is pretty well documented on this blog and I used about 1 and 1/3 containers for mine)
- 2 (10oz) packages frozen chopped spinach thawed and drained
- 3 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups shredded/grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound mushrooms sliced (I think any kind would be good with this recipe, I used the baby bells because they were on sale- also 1 pound is 16 oz- just so you don't have to google conversions in the middle of the produce section like me)
- 1 onion diced
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 tsp basil
- 1/2 oregano
- 2 TBSP chopped fresh parsley
- pinch nutmug
- salt/pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350
- To make the sauce start off by melting butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Once melted add onions, mushrooms, and garlic. Saute a few minutes and slowly add the milk. Whisk in flour and continue to stir as mixture thickens, adding spices and 1 1/2 cups Parmesean cheese. Feel free to add extra flour if you think yours is too runny.
- Now for the fun part- the layering! Scoop about a cups worth of sauce into bottom of a 13x9 baking dish to coat the bottom. Line the pan with a layer of lasagna noodles (if you want to use the original kind and cook them beforehand- go for it) I could fit four horizontally and break one to fit vertically. Next scoop ricotta cheese and spread around the noodles, coating them. Follow up with the spinach- again smoothing with the back of a spoon. Sprinkle about 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese on top. Repeat the layering one more time. Top with lasagna noodles and the remaining cream sauce. Sprinkle mozzarella and Parmesan cheese on top. Pop that bad boy in the oven for 45-55 minutes and dig in! (** You may want to cook for less time if you are not using the oven ready lasagna noodles, 30-35 minutes should do).
**** GET MORE RECIPES LIKE THIS ONE HERE!***